Join us for an informative and experiential introduction to the principles, techniques and latest research involved in the amazing world of breastfeeding. Meet others working in the field of birth and postpartum support, share resources and insights, and deepen your understanding of how we can best support families in one of the most profound (and potentially challenging) gifts they can give themselves and their babies.
In this thorough 4 hour Fundamentals of Breastfeeding Class for Professionals, participants will learn:
- Several lesser known health benefits of breastfeeding
- Anatomy and physiology of the lactating breast
- How to support new parents in navigating correct positioning and latch
- Tips for guiding a partner in supporting the breastfeeding parent
- Laid Back Breastfeeding - why it works and how to elicit it
- Common challenges and how to avoid or address them
- Addressing milk production with placenta, herbs and foods
- Alternatives to bottle feeding when a baby needs supplemental milk
- How to support an ambivalent or poorly resourced breastfeeding parent
PLEASE NOTE: We will meet for two short sessions on the same day - 10am-12pm and 2-4pm, with a break in between for lunch. This class will meet virtually via Zoom, and I will send out the link in your confirmation email.
This class is designed to meet the requirements for DONA certification for Birth & Postpartum Doulas.